We Name People So Others Can Find Them And Know Their Stories…. That Is Preservation
Preserve scanned photos using name and keywords
How It Works
foto2digital takes the stress out of your scanning project
We preserve you family stories.
Tell us yours.
Simply stack by size and ship.
View scanned images the same day.
Fun-time with the family!
- Why Organize? Where to start? No need to go through photos before digitizing. Let foto2digital take the stress out.
Once scanned, we can organize by name, remove unwanted and duplicates and group them for different family members instantly. Read More
Most scanning project never get started because people believe that they must organize, cull out unwanted photos, or touch the photos before scanning. Why?
- Organize for family members? No need to touch photos. It is much easier and quicker with software to scan digital images to recognize and group faces for you to naming by hundreds.
- Remove unwanted? Duplicates, blurry photos that you must remove? Easier to discard after scanned and saves time. No Charge for unwanted duplicates.
- Time to PRESERVE is After photos are scanned: Add names, embed stories to make them accessible to generations!
- Arrange Photos For Preserving Information: foto2digital preserves family stories by scanning information with the photos.Index cards scanned with the photos (trips, weddings etc.) retains information among scanned images for keywording. Do not use bags, envelopes or sticky-notes which do NOT scan.You can help by arranging photos. Read More
We recommend using index cards to group photos, like birthdays or weddings. These index cards are scanned with the photos, identifying the events for easy keywording. When we need to identify people, we can write on the back of the photo and scan double-sided producing a pair of images.
Together, index cards and double-sided scanning, preserves information necessary to make scanned images searchable with names and keywords.
- Why No Sticky-Notes? Would you like to see a sticky note in a scanned image? Even if we put it back after scanning the photo, the scanned images would NOT retain the information. When we use index cards that are scanned with the photos, preserving the memory.Avoid using envelopes, baggies or folders. They are not scannable. Read More
How to arrange photos to preserve information without stickies and baggies?
Arrange photos by size only:
We recommend that you group the photos by size so that each stack has flat edges and no edge sticking out that can be damaged during shipping. Make neat packets of 2-300 photos (2-3” thick) with straight edges of same size photos. Loose photos must be between 2×3” to 8×10”.
Group photos using Index cards within stacks of same size photos:
Events like weddings, birthdays and family trips generate many photographs that we group together and identify. We recommend inserting index cards to mark the beginning and end of each group. These cards allow continuous scanning and RETAIN keywords on the index card. One big stack can contain several occasions that are separated by their index card and scanned with the photos. The resulting scanned images are easy to identify and tag with searchable keywords. These index cards can be removed from scanned images and will NOT be billed.
Use of Index cards retain naming information among scanned images.
Double-sided scans at discount (grouped together 200 or more):
When we need to preserve information about individual photos, or record dates necessary to provide context to the image, please write the information on the back of the photo and mark the photos for double-sided scanning (make sure ink is dry before stacking). Some old photos already have information written on their backs. Put all those together and clearly mark for double-sided scanning.
foto2digital, preserves family stories and saves information with double-sided scans which helps us preserve your story. We recognize its importance and offer a 60% discount for the group of photos submitted for double-sided scanning. It is cost effective to have double-sided scans of photos with information on the back. With the image-pair providing contextual information we can record searchable keywords directly, rather than looking for physical photos.
This double-sided discount is not valid for individual photos. This service is NOT offered for mixed stacks and is reserved for stacks of 200 or more photos, clearly marked for double sided scans.
Secure SHIPPING OPTIONS:
During consult we will discuss your project and decide which shipping options suit your needs and schedule it. It is important we have the time scheduled for when your shipment arrives and a way to verify your shipping contents.
Options to choose from:
- Your Shipping Box: You can ship photos in your shipping boxes and send us the content list and a tracking number.
- Our Shipping Box: We can send you shipping boxes and labels and arrange pickup after you have packed your photos (50% payment of the estimate due before we send you a shipping box and label).
- You Deliver: Or you can deliver your photos (by appointment ONLY)Scheduling is important, and we will accept shipment ONLY if we have the content list and a tracking number in advance. We will refuse and return any shipment without prior agreed scheduling.You will have your job completed within a week of its acceptance at foto2digital unless we have told you otherwise. This is why we need the advance scheduling.
SHIPPING PHOTOS SECURELY
Packing for safe transit:
We recommend placing photos stacked by size with flat edges and no photo sticking out that can be damaged during shipping. Make neat packets of 2-300 photos (2-3”) with straight edges of same size. The star ks can be placed in a container to avoid jostling with a cushion to prevent damage.
Place the stacks of photos in the shipping-box lined with bubble-wrap. Take pictures of the content and tape the bubble-wrap to make it water-tight. Make sure that the weight is evenly distributed and balanced, assuring that the contents do not jostle. Fill any void with paper or shipping beans to avoid crushing.
Talk to us, we can help you get your photos safely packed.
Shipping box size:
Use sturdy small to medium size shipping box, not exceeding 18”x14”x12”. USPS priority mail box (12”x 12”x 6”) shipping box is ideal for 1,000 to 1,500 photos (Flat-rate with tracking). Medium size box holds 4,000 photos. Over-sized shipping boxes (exceeding 18” x 14 x 14”) tend to get too heavy and can be damaged during shipping. Use small or medium size box to keep the weight manageable and your package safe.
Your Shipping Box
Ship in your boxes:
Ship to: foto2digital, 930 Glen Lane, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965.
Before you pack, please make a list of the contents, take a picture and send us both along with tracking number and e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you have called us and are on the schedule.
Unscheduled deliveries are NOT accepted.
Our Shipping Box
We ship you the shipping box and label; you pack and return:
You place the photos in the bubble-wrap, tape it water-tight. Please make a list of contents, take a photo and email it to us at email@example.com. 50% of estimated order is due in advance.
Instructions for drop off
(By Appointment Only):
Stack photos (see Instructions to Arrange above). Put your photo stacks in boxes for delivery.
Call us at 608-221-9180 for appointment to visit our office.
930 Glen Lane, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965.
As low as $0.17 per photo
A $30 service fee applies to all orders. This service fee provides for safe handling procedures including: intake, item coding, physical & digital storage, quality checks by senior technicians and packaging. Pricing is for clean photos (between 3” and 10”, including up to 8×10”) without sticky surfaces, sticky notes, paper-clips, baggies, envelopes, staples or rips, in stacks arranged by size only (no expected order), scanned at 600dpi:
|Pricing for Standard Scanning*||Volume Discount|
|> 10,000||17||20% off|
|Double sided **||26||60% off|
*To qualify for above prices, photos must be between 3” and 8” wide (includes 2×3” to 8×10”). These photos must be:
- clean, loose, stackable
- without any non-scannable debris,sticky notes, staples, paper clips, tears, baggies, envelopes
** Double-sided scan is meant to preserve information about the photo. These photos must all be stacked together as a bundle at least 2” thick (about 200 photos). This rate does not apply to individual pictures or stacks of photos mixed with single sided scans.
How to estimate your job size
- SHOE BOX fits about 1000 photos. 1” stack of photos is approximately 100 photos.
- USPS PRIORITY MAIL shipping box fits about 1,400 photos (up to 5×7”photos) and can hold ½” stack of 8×10” (about 40 photos) on top or bottom of 5×7” or 4×6” stack of photos.
Please allow for bubble wrap and tape to seal the photos water-tight.
- 10,000 photos can be packed in 4 medium size shipping boxes (12x18x12”)
- If you must group photos please see ARRANGE PHOTOS to preserve information for scanning We remove labelled index cards from the photo count, you are not billed for index cards.
Special Sizes & Formats
- Photos smaller than 3”: Small photos are scanned as a group on an 8×14” flat-bed. Each flatbed scan costs $2.50 per scan. You will get an individually scanned image for each photo.
- Photos larger than 8×10” or photos with rips and tears: Cost depending on the project & time.
- Photos in frames: We prefer that you remove photos before shipping. If the photo cannot be removed or is fragile (if removing photos may damage photo or frame), we can digitize in situ at $10/framed photo.
Newspaper articles and clippings are listed under documents scanning
Sometimes the fastest and easiest solution may not fit your needs.
|Keeping the sequence of pre-arranged photos as sent||$1.00/photo|
|Creating unique folder structure to match photos||$2.00/photo|
|Photos with sticky notes or small groups in baggies||$2.00/photo|
We are sensitive to your needs and will help you find an efficient solution Call us